Stacked Cakes Blog

R2D2 Step By Step

We finally got a request for an R2D2 cake.  We have enjoyed making our previous sci-fi themed cakes and were looking forward to making a Star Wars favorite.

We decided we wanted him to be able to stand up properly without a support under him. This necessitated making his legs and feet out of non-edible, structural materials (wood and polystyrene). His body and head is made entirely out of choc mud cake and icing.

R2D2 was the perfect opportunity to add a sound module to one of our cakes. These modules allow the cake to make any noise you can imagine with the push of a button. Music, sound effects, engine noises, talking, anything at all is possible. Please let us know if you want to add the special touch of sound to your next stacked cake.

You can watch a video demonstrating R2's sound module below, and keep reading for step by step photos of the construction of this mega cool cake. Templates are available for download at the end of the article if you want to have a go at building your own R2D2

Planning Stage

Templates

Leg and base boards

Support assembly

Sound module

Bottom taper attached

Bottom of cake covered

Feet

Polystyrene finished

Fondant icing added to the legs

Body stacked and ganached

Fondant added to R2's body

R2's stand, body and head nearly ready for assembly

Head added

Details added

Battery pack cables

Templates

You can download our templates below. The images should be printed at full size, not scaled to fit. This may require tiling the output across multiple pages and sticking them back together.

Printed from: http://stackedcakes.com.au/blog/2012/03/r2d2/ .
© 2014.

38 Comments

• Jo Binkin says:

R2 is fantastic and thanks for sharing the tutorial and plans.

• pamela says:

I think I just had a nerdgasm or something.

What an awesome cake!

• Dave says:

Amazing work!!!! I'm trying to convince someone to make this for me for my bday. LOL

• Clone TV says:

Hello.

What a great cake. As a Star Wars fan I'm really impressed by it. And thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Best regards from Portugal.

• Spud says:

Oh wow!

Thanks for the templates, my kids are going to love this.

• Walter says:

Completely AWESOME!!! I can see this as a Geektastic wedding cake!! You have any Firefly ones??

• Martin says:

Hi Walter

I'm glad you liked our R2D2 cake.

No, we haven't had anyone order a Firefly cake yet, though that gives me an idea for my next birthday. :)

We have made a couple of Dalek cakes and a Stargate cake.

• nash says:

WoW. How amazn.

• Gaile says:

Wow! I made a similar cake 5 years go for my son's birthday, and was pretty damned proud of it ...until I saw yours. This one is so awesome, it makes mine look like something from cakewrecks.com or something. Nice work, seriously impressive!

• Martin says:

Thanks Gaile, I am sure your son loved his cake.

I should point out we put 3 full work days (plus some time designing) into R2D2. He also probably used over $100 of supplies. It is hard to justify the amount of time involved in building a detailed cake this size unless someone is paying you for your time.

• Sarah says:

Holy crap! This is incredible. I just wish I lived in Australia so I could order one of these amazing cakes for my birthday or something. You have combined my two favorite things - geekery and cake - perfectly. Kudos!!!

• Len Miller says:

Wow, that's great. I wish I could see it up close. What was the sound board that you used?

• Fantastic Cake! Congratulations! What an awesome feat of engineering.

• James says:

I think I just found this year's (39) b-day cake!

• Tim Anadon says:

Impressive MOST impressive. Love the attention to detail most people miss on the lil bucket of bolts. a soundboard? Seriously? Where did you find that? Love it

• Kirsty says:

Hi, can you tell me what size cakes you used? I'm guessing 8", my son saw this and wants it for his birthday in a few weeks time :)
    Kirsty

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Awesome and enormous 3D R2D2 cake | Fast Fails | The Best Fail Channels
  2. How to Make an R2D2 Cake | Fast Fails | The Best Fail Channels
  3. An R2D2 Cake « Nerdist
  4. How to Make an R2-D2 Cake [VID] « geekimperative.
  5. Tarta geek de R2D2 | geekalia.com
  6. Gâteau R2D2 : un incroyable robot comestible
  7. Impressive R2-D2 Cake with Step by Step Tutorial [Video]
  8. R2-D2 Cake of the Day - TDW Geeks
  9. Amazing R2-D2 Cake with Step by Step Instructions | So Delicious
  10. R2D2 Cake
  11. Este fantástico pastel en forma de R2-D2 se ve deliciosoNerdgasmo
  12. Sunday Reading: 4/15/12 | Buffalo Eats
  13. R2-D2 Cake – Complete With Sound Effects And Instructions To Make Your Own | Geek Is Awesome
  14. Un gateau R2-D2 pour les gourmands fans de Star-Wars | Kivoit
  15. R2-D2 Cake: It has Sound Effects, and you can eat it!! | Geekasms
  16. Star Wars: R2-D2 Cake | funny photos, funny images, funny cartoons, funny things, funny crap, funny faces
  17. · R2-D2 Cake (by Stacked Cakes)

RSS feed for comments on this post

• March 2012